Monday, July 29, 2013

What Size HVAC System Do I Need?

@comfortguyjerry had an interesting sales call this week here in the Boise, Idaho valley, and I thought it was important enough to blog about it. It has to do with the size, or tonnage of an air conditioning unit you need for your home.
     This gentleman, called our service center and wanted a quote on a 3 ton air conditioner. Immediately our receptionist put him on the phone with me and instead of just ball parking a price, not knowing the whole picture, I set up an appointment to go to his home.
     At his home I found out that several years ago his brother-in-law provided him a "refurbished" 3 ton A/C unit when his original unit went out. I ask him what the square footage of his house was. He told me 1300 square feet. Needless to say, a 3 ton unit was too big. He only needed a 2 ton unit, based on square footage only. I told him 3 ton was too big, due to the fact that the DUCT WORK in his house, when it was built, was sized for a 2 ton unit. Guess what? His current three ton unit was freezing up in the hot summer months and the house wouldn't stay cool. The rings in the compressor have warn out as well. The reason? Over sized A/C unit!  But he kept insisting he "wanted it cool!" this summer. He wanted a 3 ton unit!
     Why am I telling you all of this?  I hate to say it because I am a man, but men have this idea that more is better. You know, if one aspirin is good, then taking four aspirin must be better. "Bigger is better". "Heavier is better". Its a man thing.
      Here's the point. When you have a heating and cooling system, remember it is a 'system', not a air conditioner or a furnace. It is a complete system. That includes the outdoor unit, the furnace, the evaporator coil, the duct work, the return air ducts, and even the thermostat is important. They all have to work in concert with one another to achieve the desired results. For more information go to our website at www.greensheating.com.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting and amazing how your post is! It Is Useful and helpful for me That I like it very much, and I am looking forward to Hearing from your next.. commercial HVAC Toronto

    ReplyDelete